Saturday, June 25, 2011

APPA 2011



APPA (Australian Professional Photography Awards) being held in Sydney this year. Two images picked up Silver Awards. We didn't break out French champagne but we did open up a bottle of good red.

The first shot was of Leonie Heydon who volunteered to be part of my 2010 H2O (Water) project. Leonie is one of my UWA photography students; she met up with me early one morning for a dip in the Swan River. Leonie was just fabulous; she floated and splashed; read a book underwater; took photos underwater with a non-waterproof camera and never complained about the jellyfish or seaweed. I reminded her she had to suffer a bit for art.

The second shot was of Father Michael from the Russian Orthodox Church in the Anglican Church in South Perth. I was photographing an Investiture Ceremony and caught Father Michael as he walked down the aisle. Sometimes I spend hours or days setting up a shot and other times its all over in a minute - like here. Mind you, when you have angels on your side its easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment